Friday, October 21, 2011

week #9

OK. Week 9 has ended. I just finished my first week at critical care. How was it? It was kinda depressing/challenging/exhausting.
Why depressing?
To read the patient’s story of how they came in for abdominal pain/fever/cough and how they can get so screwed up until they lie there in front of you, with tubes sticking out from every possible place, unsure if they will wake up and get better. It got me thinking, did this patient know that when he/she came to the hosp that it would be the last time they walked/talked/ lived like a normal person? Did they know that they would be warded for 40 over days, and progress to such a stage where there is no return? And sometimes, it hurts even more to see such patient because they have no family support. 40 days in critical care and not once a family member came to visit.
Why challenging?
Because we’re fighting superbugs here and there. Patient A comes in for 1 type of infection, we treat it, and suddenly gets a new infection which is more resistant, or something else comes up which we need to manage. And more complicated stuff..and it gets soooo chaotic.
Why exhausting?
Because of the 2 reasons above.
Anyway, I’ll be going to visit my patients later..voluntarily because I want to know how they have reacted to some of the new managements implemented ystd by me and my preceptor. Hope it won’t be too long as I have no intention to freeze to death there. (yea, its super cold in there)
Week 9 has ended which only means WEEK 10 IS HERE!!!
Week 10 = ME GOING HOME!!! :)
Can’t wait to go home!! I was skyping with my mom the other day, and I decided to call Pumpkin and she started to look for me and whine.. =(. But the cutest part was watching her look for me under the table and on the wall. LOL! I honestly don’t know why my dog thinks that I’m inside the wall or under the table but it was cute to watch. I need to prepare for 2 presentations coming up this Sunday and Monday and only then I can fly back in PEACE!
Sham will be arriving at LCCT on the 24th of October @ 8.20pm. Provided that there are no delays. *fingers crossed* M hoping that my furball will be there to greet me as well.. :P
I’M GOING HOME!!!! =)
9 WEEKs DONE, 43 to go….

No comments: