Thursday, August 18, 2011

The arrival to Kota Bharu

I’m here!! In Kota Bharu, writing this from my hotel room. =)

I started my journey to the East Coast on Wednesday, leaving my house at 6am. Took the highway to Kuantan before turning off to Bentong timur after the 2nd toll. The ride from my house to the tolls was AMAZING.  I was literally driving through clouds of mist. Its no time to speed on the highway, but the view was so scenic, it was breathtaking. I would fly back to KL, and wake up at 5am, just to start driving at 6am for the view.

Once I hit the old road (the only way to Kelantan via road), the maximum speed is 60-80km/hr. That is because it is unsafe to go faster than that, there is no divider between the two lanes (yes, 2 LANES ONLY). I passed by a few accidents on the way, mainly caused by overtaking while there is an oncoming car, and thus, they end up in a ditch near by next to the road. Also, a lot of timber lorries. I also became unconsciously suicidal at one point and was driving in the opposite lane, and there was a car coming  to me, and Thank GOD, i managed to sway back into my lane. (In my defence, I’ve been driving 6 hours straight and I was distracted by the “Transnational R&R” sign across the road.) I will most probably,100% take the 55 minute flight back to KL the next time. :)

The view and experience was worth it. I don’t regret the 8 hour drive to Kota Bharu (KB), Kelantan.

The environment here is nice, peaceful, different from KL in the sense that no one is rushing. Life moves at a different speed here. They have internet access ( cause some ppl may think KB is a kampung). Honestly, KB town reminds me of KL. buildings everywhere, they have like 3 malls la..the biggest is KB mall. You can get all the basic necessities here. Tesco, Giant, Parkson. I saw like 3 McDonalds, 4 KFCs, and 2 Pizza Huts. They have Secret Recipe here too. I honestly don’t know why I was made to believe that Kota Bharu is a kampung area. Its more than what I expected it to be.

But Yes. There are rural areas around Kelantan. Looking at their life makes me wonder about the way I live. It made me reassess the way I live my life and look at life.

The traffic here is AMAZING! (minus the KL-like-crazy-jams) The people here rarely honk at your car! You can switch lanes peacefully most of the times. And they are very patient!(unlike KL drivers) You can accidently stop at the yellow box during the jam, and the oncoming traffic (whose path u’ve blocked) won’t honk at you and curse you, they WAIT for you to pass.. I think its kinda cool!

The only problem which I’m facing right now is accommodation. Work starts on Sunday and I’m still homeless. I hope things will be better tomorrow. The idea of living in a hotel for a whole year is pretty cool. Especially since the hotel is 5 minute drive from the workplace. Its good that I have friends around me right now. It makes this whole adventure a whole lot fun. Yes- ADVENTURE. I mean, to experience being in a foreign place and finding your own accommodation, and doing things on your own makes you feel like finally, you’re living your life as an ADULT. Its honestly FUN! I really don’t know how to explain my feelings. I guess I know how Frodo Baggins would have felt! (not in direct comparison, but he was going through an adventure and so am I :) )

I’m counting down to next year’s postings where we see where we get for our 3-year compulsory service. I’m excited and I hope I get somewhere new so that I can start over this awesome adventure.

 DSC01694

The view from the hotel. :) I was aiming for the Kelantan river, hope you can see it!

This is like the back/edge of Kota Bharu. The town centre is infront of this. :P

Hoping that I can find a home 2mrw.

No comments: