Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Discoveries

I just came back from………wait for it……………. MALACCA!

And, NO, it was not that I wanted to go there, it was because my parents wanted to go there. They haven’t been there since I ended my attachment there, and it has been like 5 months now, (yes, time really flies that fast) and I am a good daughter who takes her parents wherever they want to go. :P

That aside, let me share my discoveries with you.

On the first day, we went around Malacca and did normal tourist stuff, and then in the evening, I decided to take them to the Portuguese settlement to chill by the seaside and let the environment wash away their city life stress.

And look what I found sitting on the rocks!

100_0127

Can’t see it yet???

100_0133

How ‘bout now??

100_0134

100_0129

See it now??

My first impression was some kind of mutated fish! It had like “hands” and it was using its “hands” to move around the rock. Once they get into the sea, they can swim away!

After “ke po-ing” around with the locals, I found out that they are called “Mudskippers” and they can be found near muddy swampy areas and they told me that they usually feed it to kids with asthma. (erghhhh…)

You can read more about it here.

I also discovered ‘Pantai Puteri”. What is interesting about this beach is that the fishermen bring in their catch fresh and they sell it by the beach. The beach was kinda clean. I didn’t manage to get my favourite coconut shake though.. :(

My other discovery is this place;

100_0152

It can be found behind Jonker and the food here is not bad.

I had…..

100_0148

100_0146

Pai Tee – RM4.50

It was nice! recommended!

100_0149

Udang Masak Lemak with Nenas – RM15

Basically prawns cooked in coconut milk with pineapples. It was awesome. This dish was the best in the restaurant hands down! I almost cleaned the bowl because I loved the gravy so much. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

100_0150

Eggplant with something – RM8

This was recommended by the shop owner, she said something like they will add lime to this dish, but I tasted sweetish soy sauce more than anything sour. Not recommended unless you like eggplants and like it sweet.

100_0151

Asam fish – RM30

On the menu it said that this dish was suppose to be ‘HOT’ but it was anything but hot. It was sour (d’uh – Asam fish) but not spicy. Maybe my threshold is too high, but for me, it was OK-OK la…

I also realised that if you send something via “poslaju” from KL to Sarawak, it’ll take about 1 week to be delivered. So much for “laju”. –.-“

4 comments:

snowQueen said...

Sham, you make me hungry!!!

Shamala said...

haha!! aussie land no nyonya food???

snowQueen said...

Aussie nyonya food not authentic! :(
BTW, it seems like "POS LAJU" from KL to Sarawak and
"REGULAR MAIL" from Melbourne to KL take the same amount of time to get to their destination. Efficiency of Pos Malaysia is "exceptional"!!!

Shamala said...

0.0! wow!!memang "LAJU"