Thursday, May 13, 2010

I love doing my elective!!!!!!! :D

Where do I start????

Ok, when they told me to pick an elective early this year, I decided I wanted to train at GSK Ampang. And that failed. So, I decided to go to my community pharmacy and learn stuff there. I THOUGHT it was going to be boring. I was SO wrong.

Let me tell you what I’ve done so far.

DAY 1

- Familiarised my self with the BP and Glucose measuring machines.

- Watched the pharmacist measure people’s BP and sugar, after which I was handed the task to measure the BP and Glucose AND counsel the patient on DM and HTN. ( when applicable laaa)

DAY 2

- Was taught how to use the uric acid and cholesterol measuring device

- Was given the responsibility to measure BP, Glucose, Uric acid, and Cholesterol AND counsel the pts on the respective diseases. :D without being supervised by the pharmacist!! :D

DAY 3

- Stood behind the counter, dispensed medication ( labelling and filling the prescription packet like in Sem 4) I was actually nervous when I was dispensing cause the pharmacist is actually garang, there was another diploma student training under him, and he scolded her when she dispensed the medication without labelling the packet. IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMER. Thank GOD i wrote the label properly.

- Responded to symptoms!!! :D

- Taught a patient how to use Spriva!!!!!!!!

All of Day 3 activities were done under the supervision of the pharmacist. Pharmacist was impressed with my knowledge!!! :D (maybe he thinks i dunno anything, so when i could answer the questions, he was impressed. =.=”)

DAY 4 (TODAY!!!)

- Attended the launching of NiQuitin.( NRT patch and lozenge by GSK).

- It was cool!!! Fine, so I’ve never been to a product launch before, but it WAS fun. It was held at 1 world hotel. We each received a goodie bag!

Image006

The Goodie Bag

 Image009 Image010

The contents…..

(a) The big horlicks 3in1 cereal drink.( got 15/20 sachets in it i think)

(b) Dequadin Pastilles

(c) A box of Panadol

(d) A Parker pen

Image011

The talk was great. It was abt NRT and all, and it was like a refresher course for me, since I’ve learnt it before. The fun part was when Prof Dr.Haniki, Head of Pharmacy Practice from IIUM or UIA started to talk because he was more focused on pharmacists and our role in NRT. He even taught us how to counsel effectively AND he was funny! :D

And then there was the lucky draw. 3 Apple IPod shuffles were up for grabs.

Dr. Haniki was the the first to go up and pull a number. And the number fell down. =.=”. Then he picked it up and read, “ No.30!”. Then the emcee was scanning the name list and called out “Shamala”.

:D

I WON!!!!!!!!! :D

They were giving 3 away, there was like 100++ of us there and I was the FIRST to win it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Image014

And to think that I was planning on getting one this week. Now can spend the $$ on other things.. I need to shop! I just realised that I’ve forgotten to shop! *gasps*

And then we had makan, and then we went back to the pharmacy to work. More like being excited over the fact that I won la.. the whole pharmacy kecoh… :p

So, I rationalised the situation this way, I wanted to do my elective at GSK badly. And they ignored me. So in return, God made them give me an IPod! :D

Oh, and I LOVE my elective! Did I already mention that?

I also met a pharmacist which just resigned after her 4 year compulsory service to join retail pharmacy and chatting with her was great. She told me what expect and all la.. it was very nice to talk to her, and she is from USM.

By the way, all the pharmacists I met there are from USM, I think I was the only one from IMU. :(

I’m going to enjoy the rest of my day now… :)

No comments: